“I have never been in a space surrounded by so many API theater artists. I felt safe and empowered. Would love to feel this way more!” – ConFest 2018: Chicago Attendee
On Friday, March 19, 2021…
…over 200 Asian American and Pacific Islander theatre artists gathered online to discuss responses to the horrific spree killings of Asian Americans in Atlanta earlier that week.
Coordinated by Eric Ting, Jenny Koons, CAATA Board President Leslie Ishii and many others, this meeting sparked a far-ranging discussion ranging from organized responses to coordination with social justice organizations to conversations with PWI (Primarily White Institutions) in the theatre community.
While actions and discussions are still ongoing, several immediate actions steps emerged:
- CAATA will issue a statement on the killings on Tuesday, one week after the killings;
- CAATA, in conjunction with HowlRound, will initiate a series of live-streamed episodes addressing the issue;
- CAATA will also be starting a social media hashtag campaign #HadABadDay
- There will also release a PSA centering Asian American and Pacific Islander theatres, so stay tuned!
- There is a Chinese for Affirmative Action Amplify Town Hall: Confronting Anti-Asian Violence. Thursday, April 1st at 10am PT / 1pm ET
Join CAATA in this effort. These spaces, while oriented towards concrete actions are also intended to support continued community building and will hold space for all needs.
Support Our Work
Thanks, in advance, for whatever you can give!
The CAATA Team